Day + Vacation = Daycation
And yet in our fast-paced, whirlwind lives the thought of taking a day OFF can send us reeling into anxiety.
How’s that for delicious irony?
Perhaps we feel like there are too many people counting on us. That we may drop the ball on responsibilities. Or that we’ll get behind on our tasks. Maybe we feel guilty about taking a day off when everyone else has to show up at their post. But here’s the thing:
- A daycation isn’t a huge commitment.
- It doesn’t need a lot of project management.
- And it doesn’t have to cost you a dime.
So let’s just be honest here. If there’s anything stopping you from claiming a daycation it’s some idea or belief that you have. The reason I know is because I’ve got plenty: a to-do list from here to world domination, for starters.
But I took a daycation recently anyway. (It wasn’t glamorous — just a simple day trip to a couple of parks just outside town.)
Why did I do it? Because it was a postcard-perfect day, because I wanted to confront my own resistance to taking time off, and because I knew my list would still be waiting for me 24 hours later. And you know what? It was a pretty amazing day. (Pics coming soon.)
So here I am on the other side of daycation asking “why don’t I do that more often?” Also “how do I encourage others to do it?” So I did what anyone with a website would do…
I made a list.
And now, (drumroll…) here are ten reasons why you should consider incorporating more daycations into your life:
- Disruption feeds creativity. It’s good to shake up the routine now and again.
- Taking a daycation is basically you taking a stand for…YOU.
- Creating a clearing in your time can invite clarity into a life situation.
- Determining how you will spend a full day puts you back in the driver’s seat of your life.
- If you are feeling over-extended, reclaiming a day for yourself is a generous act of self-kindness.
- Especially with hectic schedules, having a full day to spend as you see fit is like taking a big deep breath for 24 hours.
- You are almost sure to see/hear/experience something you wouldn’t have in a “normal” day.
- Inviting someone you love to share a daycation with you can create a very special memory.
- You can absolutely “play hookie” from your life for a day and remain a responsible adult.
- There will never, ever be a day exactly like this again.
Do some reasons resonate more than others? You realize the world won’t fall apart because you took a day for yourself, right?
So, um…what are you doing tomorrow? 😀
Lisa’s in charge of the words around here. She sincerely hopes you create more vacations because self-discovery and wonder are good for you. 😉 Have you downloaded our free travel wallpaper files to remind you of this daily? You totally should.
Know anyone who might enjoy this? Share it! Want to send us a note? We’ve got the Twitters and the e-mail.